Post Partem Hair Loss Sucks, Yo
There are so many changes to your body when you’re pregnant; hormones do crazy things to your body, skin, nails and your hair!
Post-partem hair loss is common as hormones in your body cause changes to the hair growth cycle with the hair follicles all activated at the same time. Thankfully for most pregnant women, hair is thick and luscious during pregnancy. After baby is born however, hormones prove the enemy, hitting you up just when you don’t have the time to take extra care of yourself, let alone your locks.
According to Lauren Mackellin from prestige hair salon Vision Blonde, although hair loss is common and unavoidable after pregnancy, there are a few things you can do to combat the fall-out.
A few tips from Lauren include –
1. Use a Protein based shampoo and conditioner such as Rital Salvation.
2. Use a treatment such as Olaplex at least once a week.
3. Do not use bleach if you can avoid it – the less chemicals you use on your hair during this time, the better! Opt for a temporary look like balayage.
4. Ensure your diet includes lots of vegetables and iron.
5. Look into taking vitamins and supplements for Hair/Skin/Nails to support your diet.
6. Brush your hair regularly to measure hair loss (most people lose hair after breast-feeding).
7. Hair breakage around hairline and underneath are from hormonal changes, so use less or no heat on these areas to keep hair strong as possible in these problematic places.
8. Trade-in your traditional elastic bands for material scrunchies to avoid breakage.
9. Use a lower heat setting on your hair dryer.
10. Invest in a wide tooth comb as an alternative to a hair brush.